config.guess manufacturer string?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Feb 18 15:26:40 UTC 2009

In a nutshell: what, if anything, should we do about this?

[pmatilai at localhost redhat-rpm-config]$ sh F-8/*/config.guess
x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
[pmatilai at localhost redhat-rpm-config]$ sh devel/*/config.guess
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

[pmatilai at localhost redhat-rpm-config]$ setarch i386 sh F-8/*/config.guess
i686-redhat-linux-gnu
[pmatilai at localhost redhat-rpm-config]$ setarch i386 sh
devel/*/config.guess
i686-pc-linux-gnu

Up to some point around F9, Fedora (and before that RHL) carried patched
versions of config.guess, typically deployed through %configure copying it
over default config.guess from auto*foo, which would emit "redhat" as the
manufacturer string.

My reading of http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_17.html is
that the manufacturer part of the configuration name is the manufacturer
of the CPU, not "OS vendor" so the former "redhat" was always incorrect.
I don't know the history behind the decision to stomp "redhat" in there to
begin with nor why it was then dropped later on. But having gotten used to
it, people occasionally think the "unknown" (or "pc" for that matter) is a
bug.

Thoughts? Just leave it up to config.guess upstream like it is now, case
closed, or are there some actual reasons other why it should be something
else?

 	- Panu -