config.guess manufacturer string?

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 20:41:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 17:26 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> Up to some point around F9, Fedora (and before that RHL) carried patched
> versions of config.guess, typically deployed through %configure copying it
> over default config.guess from auto*foo, which would emit "redhat" as the
> manufacturer string.

I dropped it because it was incorrect, per your reasoning below.

> My reading of http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_17.html is
> that the manufacturer part of the configuration name is the manufacturer
> of the CPU, not "OS vendor" so the former "redhat" was always incorrect.
> I don't know the history behind the decision to stomp "redhat" in there to
> begin with nor why it was then dropped later on. But having gotten used to
> it, people occasionally think the "unknown" (or "pc" for that matter) is a
> bug.

I had a bug report asking for the the "redhat" to get dropped along with
a nice reasoning, and an explanation that such bug reports had been
ignored previously, which seemed quite sad. Reminds me that we should
really figure out what of the stuff in redhat-rpm-config is still
needed/deviates from upstream.

Panu: let's set aside some time post-mass rebuild to discuss r-r-c.

Jon.