add a special Provides: to all login manager packages

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Feb 19 01:05:09 UTC 2009

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> On 2009-02-18 at 17:14:12 -0500, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
>> The other thing to we should do is to strongly discourage people from
>> adding more of them to Fedora.  There's not a really good reason for
>> anything other than gdm and kdm to be included and supported.
>
> I'm not sure I buy this argument. Who gets to say what use cases are
> interesting to the Fedora Community? What if the next great window
> manager isn't GNOME or KDE?

While I don't think GDM and KDM are going to cut it for everyone (KDM drags
in a lot of KDE, GDM a lot of GNOME, neither is a good solution for XFCE,
LXDE etc.), so I do think we should support more DMs, currently the only
DMs which actually *work* are those two.

The serious issue with all the other DMs in Fedora is that they do not
support ConsoleKit. Thus, permissions to hardware devices are not given out
and things just don't work. XDM, SLIM etc. need to be patched to support
ConsoleKit if we want to support them properly. As KDM is originally based
on XDM, the KDM patch which I finally got upstreamed for KDE 4.2.0 should
be a good starting point to fix XDM and other derivatives (though they did
diverge, so some porting will be needed).

I'd suggest that we make a deadline for alternative DMs: add ConsoleKit
support or get dropped in F11. This has been needed since F7, they have
been ignoring the problem for 4 releases now! (Whereas I fixed KDM in time
for F7 on very short notice.) Don't let those DMs bitrot for a 5th release!

        Kevin Kofler