add a special Provides: to all login manager packages

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Feb 19 01:20:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>
>> On 2009-02-18 at 17:14:12 -0500, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
>>> The other thing to we should do is to strongly discourage people from
>>> adding more of them to Fedora.  There's not a really good reason for
>>> anything other than gdm and kdm to be included and supported.
>>
>> I'm not sure I buy this argument. Who gets to say what use cases are
>> interesting to the Fedora Community? What if the next great window
>> manager isn't GNOME or KDE?
>
> While I don't think GDM and KDM are going to cut it for everyone (KDM drags
> in a lot of KDE, GDM a lot of GNOME, neither is a good solution for XFCE,
> LXDE etc.), so I do think we should support more DMs, currently the only
> DMs which actually *work* are those two.

I don't think it's as obvious as that; both XFCE and LXDE share a lot
of the same infrastructure that's used for gdm (primarily GTK+).  What
exactly about GDM is not suitable?  That's the question they should be
able to answer.

-- Colin, skeptical of "extremely faster" and were the LXDE home page
a wiki, would want to add [Citation needed]