add a special Provides: to all login manager packages

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Feb 19 02:11:27 UTC 2009

Christoph Wickert wrote:
> What is not working? Are there any DM related bugs in bz? The only one I
> know is related to gdm, one of the DMs you call working.

Try accessing your sound card (as a regular user). If you use PulseAudio,
it'll fail to start entirely due to no permissions, if you don't, playing
sound will still fail due to no permissions. HAL only gives out permissions
to the sound device to local users registered with ConsoleKit.

Also try accessing a USB stick (as a regular user). I don't know if XFCE or
LXDE provide the tools to mount them through HAL in the first place (if
they don't, that would be a separate serious usability issue), but try
Nautilus or Dolphin. This will also fail without ConsoleKit support,
because again HAL only gives out permissions to local users and only
ConsoleKit tells it what users are local.

The USB stuff has needed ConsoleKit since F7, the sound change (permissions
handled by HAL+ConsoleKit instead of pam-console) happened somewhere around
F9. The old RH-specific pam_console hack is gradually being eradicated in
favor of ConsoleKit.

> What is the use if nether xfce4-session nor lxsession-lite support
> ConsoleKit?

They don't need to, only the login manager does.

        Kevin Kofler