586 vs 686

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Thu Feb 19 03:31:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 21:25 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:

> Thanks Jesse, that answers most of my questions.  Except, as I have the
> 586 kernel (would 686 still be for those higher systems?) installed, and
> I have a 64bit system (32bit installed).
>
> Do I need to file a bug report for this?

Sorry, I hit send button to early, but wanted to ask one more kernel
question, as that might explain above.

If by that feature page, you will have an x86_64 kernel even with a
32bit OS, how or where does the kernel come from if your installing from
the 32bit path?

If for example, someone was mirroring Fedora and was not syncing the
64bit side, then they wouldn't get that kernel?  So you would have to
sync up the 64bit side as well?  Or will that particular kernel (and I
guess PAE) be supplied on the 32 bit path side too?  What if installing
from 32bit DVD where does 64bit kernel come from?

--
Mike Chambers
Fedora Project - Bug Zapper, Tester, User, etc..
mikec302 at fedoraproject.org