cron.hourly/daily/weekly/etc. in rawhide

Marcela Maslanova mmaslano at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 14:25:47 UTC 2009

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 01:53 +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

>>> Ok, I knew and understood anacron is for running cron jobs that missed
>>> their scheduling for various reasons?  I only asked about anacrontab
>>> because that is the only setting config file I could find that was close
>>> enough to configuring crontab.
>>>
>>> Soooo, I guess what I am trying to ask, is if I want my cron.daily to
>>> run at 3:25 every morning, what/where is the file that I set that for?
>>> Because currently my cron.daily (after a fresh install from few days
>>> ago) runs at 4:xxam and I don't know what is making it run at that time
>>> very morning like it used to be.
>>>
>> It seems that /etc/anacrontab is the new config file for botn cron and
>> anacron. Quite confusing, to be honest, I would have expected at least
>> the other way around (have anacron read from /etc/crontab ). But then
>> again, maybe I am wrong...
Well the jobs like cron.{daily, weekly,...} were always in anacrontab
and crontab, which leads to running them twice or more, which was solved
by ugly hacks. Now are jobs started only from anacrontab. You can still
remove jobs from anacrontab and run them from crontab, if you wish.

> I also see /etc/cron.d dir and wonder if putting in a file, like 0hourly
> is in there currently, and setting it that way for specific times/dates?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. 0hourly run the first minute of
hour anacron and anacron checks whether it has to run daily jobs or not.

--
Marcela Mašláňová
BaseOS team Brno