add a special Provides: to all login manager packages

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 15:28:07 UTC 2009

> The #1 rationale for banning kernel modules entirely
> was "FESCo was rejecting most requests anyway, so it won't change much",
> but the option of changing that fact, or even getting rid of the FESCo
> approval requirement entirely, never even got considered.

But we didn't ban non-upstream modules.  Instead we made the kernel team
the gateway.  If the module is good enough to provide to Fedora users,
it's good enough to be in the kernel package proper.  This gets around
the build timing / ordering issue, it prevents newer kernels from
causing the module to stop building, it removes the need for gross
yum/rpm hacks to handle the packages properly, it removes the need to
re-create the initrd after a module update, so on and so forth.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!