Fedora 10/KDE: how to make vfat mount with shortname=mixed as default?

Serguei Miridonov mirsev at cicese.mx
Thu Feb 19 22:04:00 UTC 2009

Hello,

I had posted this question to fedora-list with a hope that some
advanced used could find a solution but till now that post is
unanswered. So, now I hope that somebody from a developers community
can help...

In konqueror from KDE 3.x there was an option in folder properties -
"Mounting options" which could be used to specify some mounting
options for certain drives (the volume was specified by the device ID,
not sure now...). I could not find similar options in modern Dolphin
file manager.

In fact, for myself, and probably for many other users, it would be
more practical to make the option 'shortname=mixed' system-wide and
add the possibility to adjust it for particular drives, if necessary.
Is it possible in Fedora 10 without any program recompilation?

There are some forum posts about using gconf-editor, but it does not
seem to work in KDE...

There are also related problems: for example, how one can add 'eject
<device>' or 'sdparm --command=stop <device>' into hal or mount/umount
helpers? This is necessary for proper handling external drives and
flash memory.

Any idea?

Thanks.