x86_32 yum $basearch

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 20 14:20:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 14:12 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 09:42 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> >> Now that Fedora 11 x86_32 is going to be based on i586 packages rather
> >> than i386 packages, does it follow that yum's $basearch will change from
> >> i386 to i586 and hence repository directory layouts changing too, or
> >> will it stay at i386?
> >>

> > I don't think it will change. For a few reasons:
> >
> > 1. non-fedora repos
> > 2. non-fedora distros
> > 3. this is why we also have $arch in addition to $basearch
> >
> > make sense?
>
> Certainly from the point of view of being the least disruptive option;
> it'll just look a bit strange having i386 "Everything" repos with no
> i386 packages in them...

Which is why we shouldn't have i386 repos. We should switch
fedora-release to using $arch and an i586 repo which is a symlink to the
i686 repo. Then when we phase out i586 in F12, we just remove the i586
symlink. That way, if anyone wants to maintain a build of fedora for
i586 or lesser machines then they can do so in the i586 path using
$arch.

-sv