Fedora 10/KDE: how to make vfat mount with shortname=mixed as default?

Serguei Miridonov mirsev at cicese.mx
Sun Feb 22 15:38:39 UTC 2009

On Thursday 19 February 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Serguei Miridonov wrote:
> > In konqueror from KDE 3.x there was an option in folder
> > properties - "Mounting options" which could be used to specify
> > some mounting options for certain drives (the volume was
> > specified by the device ID, not sure now...). I could not find
> > similar options in modern Dolphin file manager.
>
> KDE 4 does not currently support specifying custom mount options.
> There's a bug/wish filed for that upstream, so far nobody has
> bothered implementing it.

Well, does anybody know _easy_ and _secure_ way to specify mounting
options and pre/post- mounting/unmounting scripts in HAL rules?

On a desktop computer or laptop with just one user this can be done on
a level lower than KDE/Gnome.

Regarding customization, Linux always looked more transparent than
Windows. But HAL/fdi seems so cryptic that it appears that old good
transparancy does not exist anymore.

May be I'm wrong, of course, but I don't see an easy way to add a
hotplug/unplug scripts for something and be sure after that that this
functionality will not be broken in next releases.