Planning the Fedora 11 Mass Rebuild

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Mon Feb 23 19:03:56 UTC 2009

Hi.

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 18:15:55 +0000, Miloslav Trmač wrote

> If the user has changed a configuration file, rpm needs to know on
> upgrade whether the configuration file was changed by the packager
> between the two package versions.  The unmodified configuration file
> for the old version is no longer available, so rpm can only compare
> the hashes.

To be honest, I always wondered why RPM did not keep the plain text
of all config files (they're small text and should compress well). There
was more than one time where I would have been glad to just pull
the original config file out of the RPM database again, to have
a fresh starting point after configuring something to death :)