%config files and upgrade to F11 - consider noreplace

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 18:29:52 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 18:06 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > this is because of:
> > > %config %{_sysconfdir}/gconf/schemas/*.schemas
> > >
> > > I checked other packages and it seems they are not marking with
> > > %config the files in /etc/gconf/schemas.
> > >
> > > So, may I safely drop this?
> >
> > Yes, gconf schemas are data, not %config.
> >
> > > In that case, maybe rpmlint should grow a rule to not return:
> > > alleyoop.i386: W: non-conffile-in-etc /etc/gconf/schemas/alleyoop.schemas
> > > on the resulting rpm?
> >
> > File a bug and let the rpmlint maintainers see what they think.
>
> Isn't the bug more likely in gconf? If these are data they should not be
> in /etc but /usr (according to FHS).
>
> I note that openSUSE has a feature request for this:
>
> https://features.opensuse.org/305318
>
> which claims that Debian does it already. What's upstream's take on
> this?

We may reopen this discussion upstream after 2.26, and see if we can
achieve some harmonization of GConf paths between distros.

So far, we have not taken this up (moving schemas from /etc to /usr),
since it is a change that affects many packages, without any tangible
benefits. Unless you want to count an FHS checkbox or 'silent rpmlint'
as a benefit that warrants non-trivial (it is not just file lists, but %
post/%pre/%preun scripts too) changes in tons of packages...