Installing with separate /home partition & bug #150670

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 21:04:03 UTC 2009

> I'm far too lazy, I'll just steal Mandriva's. :P MDV does this by
> default, so it must have an algorithm. I dunno where it is (installer
> code is a big hairball), so I've just asked the author.
>
> If I was doing it from scratch, though, I'd do it the way I do it
> manually - ask how much space everything else needs, and give /home the
> rest. Say, with less than 10GB of space don't split 'em, with less than
> 20GB give / 10GB and /home the rest, with less than 80GB give / 15GB
> and /home the rest, and over 80GB give / 20GB and /home the rest.
> Something like that, just a rough sketch. It only has to cover the most
> common use cases, because anyone doing stuff like running a server and
> needing lots of space in /var should really be doing their own
> partitioning in any case.

I usually use 7GiB for / on stable, 7 GiB for / on rawhide, 2GiB for
SWAP and the rest for /home. For the system these 7GiB are just enough
(well, it's not enough for corner cases like when you install everything
and a kitchen sink, but Desktop users usually don't need that much). I'd
also say that for server stuff, people would usually create a
separate /var partition, so I don't really think this is a huge issue.
Just use 10GiB as a base and if you have big enough available space (say
more than ~100GiB) you can start increasing until you reach some
predefined maximum (I think ~30GiB would be sane). And when you have too
little of space (say less than ~20 GiB), don't split by default.

In short, I'd prefer to have as little as is needed for system (+ some
extra for future needs; i.e. for /) and as much as possible for data
(i.e. for /home and /var if either is separate).

I think debian has this problem pretty much solved, is there any reason
for not doing it the same way they do?

Martin