Noarch subpackages: Upcoming Feature Freeze

Hans Ulrich Niedermann hun at n-dimensional.de
Thu Feb 26 13:43:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:15:09 +0100
Florian Festi <ffesti at redhat.com> wrote:

> Please add the packages you changed or plan to change to
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NoarchSubpackages/PackagesChanged
> Put the later in parenthesis. That way it will be easier to justify a
> release note entry and to argue that the Feature is (at least a bit)
> finished.

I gather (there appears to be not much documentation showing how to
actually make use of the noarch subpackage feature in a package) that
one is just supposed to add a "BuildArch: noarch" line to the
respective %package declaration in the spec file.

However, common/Makefile.common contains the following lines

LOCALARCH := $(if $(shell grep -i '^BuildArch:.*noarch' $(SPECFILE)), noarch, $(shell uname -m))

$(ARCHES) : sources $(TARGETS)
        $(RPM_WITH_DIRS) --target $@ -ba $(SPECFILE) 2>&1 | tee .build-$(VERSION)-$(RELEASE).log ; exit $${PIPESTATUS[0]}

This causes "make local" to build the whole package as noarch
(including the supposed-to-be-arch-specific main and other
subpackages) and not just the respective noarch subpackage, AFAICT.

Or am I missing something here?

--
Hans Ulrich Niedermann