autoconf and epel-5

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Feb 26 15:58:09 UTC 2009

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 01:07:44PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> ... plenty of surprises are lurking for you ;)
>
> You really need to back your assertions up with facts.
OK, try to run autoreconf from Fedora 10 on newlib-1.15.0, gcc-3.x, firefox.

These packages end up in a total mess when doing so. There actually are
plenty of such cases out there. Almost all packages which still apply
autoconf < 2.59 or automake < 1.7 have such problems.

>  It's pretty
> pointless continuing this because you just keep making assertions that
> we're wrong, but haven't shown a single fact to back it up.
Well, after ca. 10 years of being heavy auto*tools usage, having
contributed to these tools as a developer, having ported and helped
porting dozens of packages to modern autotools (one of these had e.g.
been rpm) I know for sure you're wrong.

Feel free to trust me or to ignore me - your freedom, your decision.

Ralf