autoconf and epel-5

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Feb 26 16:21:40 UTC 2009

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> These packages end up in a total mess when doing so. There actually are
> plenty of such cases out there. Almost all packages which still apply
> autoconf < 2.59 or automake < 1.7 have such problems.

They wouldn't if the autotools weren't gratuitously breaking compatibility
all the time. They could use a compatibility mode, or even finegrained
compatibility policies, like a certain other build system successfully uses
for backwards compatibility. And certain pointless changes could just have
been avoided altogether. They prefer just breaking things. This is one of
the main grudges I have with the autotools.

        Kevin Kofler