Ready for new RPM version?

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:38:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Jon Ciesla <limb at jcomserv.net> wrote:

> Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>
>> Jon Ciesla píše v Čt 26. 02. 2009 v 14:41 -0600:
>>

>>> Has anyone tried a yum upgrade to F-11?  I would think upgrading rpm and
>>> yum first would be all the prerequisites you'd need, no?
>>>

>> >From F-10 with updates there is no reason to expect any problems.
>>
>> >From F-9 the recommendation is to perform a full update to F-10 with all
>> updates.  Updating only rpm to the F-10 update version seemed to work
>> fine when I tried it, but nobody maintains this upgrade path.
>>        Mirek
>>

> I know it isn't :)  Never stopped me before.  Hence:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/LiveUpgrade
>
> --
> in your fear, speak only peace
> in your fear, seek only love
>
> -d. bowie
>
> --

Heh, I think you should go for it and update RPM to 4.7.0. We really should
try to improve rpm's/yum's performance as much as possible (although, there
will always be some lag, because of python interpretation, but it is quite
small and barely noticeable most of the time) and it looks like RPM 4.7.0
doesn't break compatibility with the old package format even though it
finally does support LZMA based RPM packages. And it is definitely good to
hear that LiveUpgrade still works. I use LiveUpgrade for my testing VMs
because its a pain to run the ISO or the DVD for upgrading on those,
especially since it isn't nearly as critical as real machines.