autoconf and epel-5

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Feb 27 14:33:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:23:33 +0100 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >> FUD - How many lines of code has been changed in Fedora because of
> >> gcc-4.4? Many.
> >
> > As a matter of fact I'm also unhappy about GCC's (and g++'s in
> > particular) blatant disregard for backwards compatibility.
> Well, you've got a learning curve ahead of you - Programming
> languages are "a-changing", whether this tastes you or not.

OK, the thread so far:

  + Kevin wants all the rest of us to switch to CMake -- a large-ish
    and certainly time consuming change of questionable merit for many
    projects.

  + The very same Kevin prefers that everything else stays the
    same.  For instance, he rails against the ongoing GCC improvements
    that bring the compiler into closer agreement with the governing
    ISO standards, etc.

[ sigh... ]

Kevin, if you *consistently* pushed for perceived improvements (that is,
advocated for "new-and-supposedly-improved" bits across the board) then
I could appreciate your views as a progressive and bleeding-edge sort
of guy.  But when you simultaneously advocate for all-new build systems
while pining for older, less capable, and buggier (less standards
compliant) compilers then the inconsistencies stand out.  It suggests
that you either lack a broad appreciation of the improvements or,
equally as damning, you are willing to ignore them since you are
focused solely on the changes that are immediately convenient or
appealing to you.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/