Dia does not work without .la files - BZ 475992

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 17:21:24 UTC 2009

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Dan Horák wrote:
>
>> IMHO a working application is always preferred :-) But the plugin

The only time I've seen .la files really being needed was with KDE-3.
And that wasn't so much an issue that couldn't be solved as the KDE sig
wanting to put effort into KDE-4 rather than working on the deficincies
in KDE-3.

> +1.  The problematic .la files that should be avoided are those associated with (linkable) shlibs.  Plugin .la files are mostly harmless.

I thought Michael Schwendt pointed out times when plugin .la's would
cause issues as well.  Is this chain of reasoning correct:  Plugin .la
encodes need for library foo's .la.  foo .la is packaged in the -devel
subpackage.  Plugins now drag in the -devel package and its dep chain.

-Toshio