emacs fan help with packaging .el

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Sun Jan 4 18:45:54 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Chitlesh" == Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh.goorah at gmail.com> writes:

Chitlesh> I have never used emacs before.

It is never too late :-)

Chitlesh> http://chitlesh.fedorapeople.org/RPMS/dinotrace.spec

I'm curious about the byte-compilation step in this spec file.  Emacs
.elc files are not portable across Emacs versions; so won't this do
the wrong thing depending on the emacs alternatives setting?  It seems
to me that either Emacs or XEmacs users will be left out.

Also, from dinotrace.el:

;;	---INSTALLER-SITE-START---
[...]
;;	(global-set-key "\C-x\C-aa" 'dinotrace-update)
;;	(global-set-key "\C-x\C-ad" 'dinotrace-mode)
;;	---INSTALLER-SITE-END---

And then later:

(global-set-key "\C-x\C-aa" 'dinotrace-update)

IMO, unconditionally installing new global key bindings is unfriendly,
particularly for something relatively obscure like this.

sim-log.el has this:

;;	(setq auto-mode-alist (append (list '("\\.log$" . sim-log-mode)) auto-mode-alist))

I would be very surprised if a .log file showed up in sim-log-mode,
just because dinotrace was installed.

Now, from what I can tell, that the .spec does not extract the install
stuff from sim-log.el.  Maybe this was the reason?  The problem is
that I think you really do want to extract the autoload of
sim-log-mode -- just not the auto-mode-alist change.

Both of these are nits to pick with upstream, I suppose.

Tom