/etc/hosts re-ordered f10?

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Sun Jan 4 21:22:47 UTC 2009

On 01/04/2009 02:58 PM, nodata wrote:

> What if 1.2.3.4 is a floating service address, and 1.2.3.1 and 1.2.3.2
> are the active and passive hosts?

  I am no expert in clustering, or hot stand by machines - so in the
config you have in mind - is the floating IP not associated with a fixed
name so the consumers dont know that the machine is being switched over?

If so both active and passive could have as their /etc/hosts files:

  127.0.0.1 	localhost.localdomain	localhost
  1.2.3.1	m1.my.dom	m1
  1.2.3.2	m2.my.dom	m2
  1.2.3.4	float.my.dom	float

 Then I assume you need to weewee on arp a little and do something like
  ip address add xxx ..
 and delete it off the failing one etc etc ... ?

On the other hand - you probably dont need any of this as DNS is
probably doing it all no ?

  I'll leave this to the failover, clusterer experts ..

gene