emacs fan help with packaging .el

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Jan 4 23:47:03 UTC 2009

Le dimanche 04 janvier 2009 à 16:42 -0500, Matthew Saltzman a écrit :
> On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 16:30 +0000, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> > 2009/1/4 Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh.goorah at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Another aside: Other the past few months I've noticed that many
> > packages don't create a separate emacs-foo subpackage but rather use a
> > trick with %triggerin to drop elisp files into place when emacs is
> > installed. I also think this should be discussed and documented in the
> > packaging guidelines as an alternative when a package only has 1 or 2
> > elisp files.
> >
> > A further aside: I think the emacs guidelines should only insist on
> > separate emacs-foo-el sub-packages when there are a large number of
> > .el files. Perhaps. Maybe.
>
> What happens when one installs a package with .el files and installs
> emacs later?  How would one go about getting the .el files for your
> package in that case?

The way we handle this for fonts and fontconfig is that the fontconfig
package runs its magic command on stuff available in special dirs on
install, and individual packages run the same magic command on
themselves in post if fontconfig is available.

It's simpler and more robust than triggers.

--
Nicolas Mailhot