sound problems

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jan 6 08:14:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:28:11AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> So in this case, putting them into ATrpms's "bleeding" repo makes a
>> lot of sense.
>
> Normally yes, but not if the latest Fedora kernel already includes
> the same Alsa, then providing (nearly) the same in a different place
> is just wasting time and leads to confusion among users.

Please check the thread - this is about alsa 1.0.18a failing on some
hardware which the packages at ATrpms fix. So it's neither a waste,
nor confusion, but supporting the userbase (this thread has become
waste and confusion).

Actually a lot of the current snapshot from alsa has been driven by
Paulo who also packaged it up for immediate consuming. And yes, it's
all in upstream already, but until 1.0.18b/1.0.19 is released and that
pushed to the kernel or the Fedora kernel maintainer backporting the
bits it to the next packaged kernel, some people with a nice sound
system will only listen to the Sound of Silence.

All that Paulo was trying to do here is help users with a problem at
hand, be that with a package we created or other advice to get the
sound codec going. I really doubt that he will be that enthousiastic
to help people out on this list when the side reactions are like that.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net