Python, distutils, rpmbuild, issues

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Tue Jan 6 21:38:08 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> No, this won't work.  5.0.0_rc2 is in fact rpm newer than 5.0.0.

Is there some way to force rpm to recognize 5.0.0 as newer than
5.0.0_rc2?  How else are you supposed to handle the release candidate
packaging?

> As to your other problem, I haven't even attempted it as the distutils
> generated spec file isn't acceptable to Fedora packaging standards,

Why is this?  I've built RPMS using bdist_rpm and they work just fine.
You can configure things in setup.cfg.  Of course I had to force an
ignore of the "Installed but not packaged files" error which is not a
permanent solution to the problem.  I would prefer to use 'bdist_rpm'
and not develop a whole new way of building python packages when
distutils can already do this.  If something cannot be configured then I
think distutils should be enhanced.

Regards,
Gerry