git-* commands in /usr/libexec/git-core/

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Wed Jan 7 09:55:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:43:00AM +0100, Adam Tkac wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> git-* binaries have been moved to /usr/libexec/git-core directory in
> the latest git build in F11 branch. Changelog says "Install git-*
> commands in %{_libexecdir}/git-core, the upstream default".

Git 1.6.0 ReleaseNotes:

   Invoking a git subcommand as "git-xyzzy" from the command line has
   been deprecated since early 2006 (and officially announced in 1.5.4
                         ^^^^^^^^^^
   release notes);

now we have 2009...

> Unfortunately this change break many scripts which are using git-*

Fix your scripts. (I did it one year ago;-)

> commands. In my opinion binaries should be moved back to /usr/bin or
> /usr/libexec/git-core should be added to PATH by default, shouldn't it?

I don't think so, because:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WhyUpstream

and because it's better when you fix your scripts today than
tomorrow... because you might have more scripts tomorrow.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>