Problems with X font handling

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 16:19:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:28:14 +0100, Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 2009-01-13, 16:29 GMT, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> > Section "Files"
> >         FontPath     "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
> >         FontPath     "unix/:7100"
> > EndSection
>
> Try to just eliminate "Files" section altogether. You then get in
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log something like this:
>
>     (==) No FontPath specified.  Using compiled-in default.
>     (==) FontPath set to:
>             catalogue:/etc/X11/fontpath.d,
>             built-ins

This is completely beside the point. The problem occures in the
part of the log that you skipped and I'm going to re-insert:

> > [dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi, removing from list!
> > [dix] Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

I'm sorry to repeat it for you, but X server is badly broken
(or was broken, for the documented version).

> Pete, xfs is not manadatory anymore and it is not installed per
> default since somewhere in F9. All configuration files for
> individual font packages should go to /etc/X11/fontpath.d. If you
> eliminate "Files" section, stop xfs, restart Xorg, and something
> doesn't work, THEN file a bug about it.

Not that I care about it, since I don't use legacy applications,
but you're dead wrong here as long as the capability to use Files
and FontPath is documented. Ditto xfs.

-- Pete