comps discussion at fudcon and the future

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Jan 15 13:52:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 02:51:52PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> When someone goes to install the group: 'yum groupinstall
> mygroup-of-fun' or 'yum install @mygroup-of-fun' then yum will grab the
> comps/groups file from each repo, look if the group you're requesting is
> there. If so it will create a metapkg rpm (a package containing only
> requirements) on the packages that exist in the repositories that are
> listed in that group. Then it will depsolve and install that pkg. The
> package name will be @mygroup-of-fun. The package version will be a hash
> of the contents of the package along with a timestamp. It needs to be
> timestamp-based so the version is increasing so we can 'update' these
> pkgs.

Will the installer install @groups or packages?  What if a user
installs a @group either with anaconda or yum groupinstall, and they
later decide they don't want one of the packages in that group?  How
do they remove just one package member?  What is the behavior of "yum
remove" on a @group?