[Fedora-spins] Spins SIG Meeting(s) / Agenda!

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 15 15:35:26 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
>> No, it is not. I have to spend a lot of time, getting that kickstart
>> file in place first. It isn't a simple matter of running some composes
>> and calling it a day. There is a heck lot of finicky details to take
>> care of. Rawhide breaks my compose in subtle ways. You are in rel-eng.
>> You know the amount of work it takes to get alpha,beta and general
>> releases out. Are you really asking me to do that work every two weeks
>> for multiple spins?
>
> In many respects, yes. Because otherwise it falls to the 'base' rel-eng
> and QA to constantly do that work, and that doesn't scale. If people
> want their own custom spins, they do have to put some skin in the game.
>
> It's not really adding anything to the amount of work that needs to be
> done, in total. It's just shifting around who it gets done by and when.

QA hasn't been involved in custom spins ever to my knowledge. I haven't
received any input from them ever. So let's leave QA out. In rel-eng,
the only person involved on a regular interval is Jesse Keating (and
Josh Boyer has helped as well) has sometimes run into issues and there
hasn't been any major problem that I haven't responded to on time but
doing composes and full fledged testing and reports every two weeks for
all the different spins throughout rawhide development just isn't
feasible. Automate more of this process via daily composes and automated
tests and I can fill in the gaps that require manual supervision. I am
already doing composes on my own and testing to the extend I can. There
really isn't any room for me to do more.

Rahul