comps discussion at fudcon and the future

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jan 16 01:15:12 UTC 2009

seth vidal wrote:
> they don't help the problem at all, they just introduce a whole other
> set of difficulties as to what the default behavior should be when we
> hit them.

Here's how I see things (which I believe is close if not identical to how it
works on Debian):

Recommended = default on.
Suggested = default off.
The user can customize it to have both on or both off.

And in both cases, removing a package with only a soft dep should not remove
the dependent package (except if an option to treat them as hard deps is
set).

        Kevin Kofler