Why different keys for -testing and non-testing?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Jan 17 16:59:09 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 10:31 -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:

> I have a machine that has been migrated for a long time. It has 9
> gpg-pubkey packages installed. Which ones are valid? Why don't they get
> retired by obsoletes or something?

We explored these options after the incident.  Last I heard the only
current way this is going to work is if an updated rpm package is
released that has a hardcoded distrust of the keys that might have been
compromised.  However I do believe it's on their roadmap to revamp how
keys are used so that we could revoke or expire keys, regardless of
where they come from.

> Could someone use my ancient gpg-pubkeys
> as a basis for an attack on repo metadata
> (http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/justin/packagemanagersecurity/attacks-on-package-managers.html)
> and provide an older package with known security holes?
>
> Old keys should be retired. We should also make import of keys an auditable
> event.

Are not all rpm actions audited?  Importing a key essentially installs
it into the rpm database.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!