Wrong security attributes. Maybe a bug?

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Mon Jan 19 17:56:57 UTC 2009

Hi.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:14:07 +0100, Joshua C. wrote:

> Recently I saw that I can modify/delete any file in my home directory.
> Even if it is owned by root and is set as 444. If I'm the owner of the
> directory these files are in, I can do whatever I want with them
> regardless of their owner and attributes. This is in
> kde-dolphin-4.1.4.fc9.

This has been the way of UNIX since the dawn of time. Deleting a file
is a directory operation, so the permissions on the directory apply,
not the permissions on the file.

You should not be able to modify the file in place, however (but
you could delete it and create a new one, which would be owned by
you and not root).