pam_console

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 04:18:01 UTC 2009

Colin Walters <walters <at> verbum.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting <at> redhat.com>
wrote:
> > Having never played with mpd, what's the specific usage case you're
> > looking for? (i.e., when X happens, the devices should be writable
> > by entity Y)
>
> mpd likely wants to install a rule that says "this device should
> *always* be accessible by this uid".  Also, it should start pulse
> internally.

That's exactly the use case. The mpd daemon runs all the time, no matter who
is doing what at the console. While it's running, it should always be able
to play audio. I'm not sure about Colin's point about starting pulse
internally... mpd does have an optional pulseaudio sink, but I use it with
an alsa sink.