ibus and F11

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Tue Jan 20 06:33:36 UTC 2009

Aside from the benefits of having the IMEs more modularized and whatnot,
what would be the user-visible dis/advantages of iBus versus existing
SCIM usage?

For example, I use SCIM/Anthy to input Japanese text on a frequent basis
(using the Rõmaji method); and one thing I love about it is that it is
very easy to toggle between English and Japanese with its default
keyboard shortcut (ctrl + space). Is switching back and forth as easy
with iBus? (And if not by default, is that option at least readily
available?)

Another excellent feature of SCIM, for me, is the
handwriting-recognition features provided through Tomoe. This helps me
*immensely* in my study of Kanji characters since it allows me to search
for the character in StarDict or on Wiktionary when I do not yet know
its readings (and thus could not enter it with the phonetic Anthy/Rõmaji
method) as I can simply draw it on my Wacom tablet and then have it
inserted into the search window. Does iBus have similar capabilities or
a Tomoe plugin of its own?

Thanks. :)
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter at thecodergeek.com>