BTRFS 0.17 in rawhide (at some point)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 21 11:39:34 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> One question I couldn't find a definite answer to: Does btrfs-convert also
> work on ext4? In other words: Can we upgrade from ext3 to ext4 and then
> from ext4 to btrfs? Or are we painting ourselves in a corner by using ext4?

I asked this question to Eric Sandeen earlier on IRC and Chris Mason has
confirmed that it should work. Someone probably needs to test that however.

Besides, Btrfs is probably going to take a couple more releases before
it gets to the stage where we can trust it enough to use it as default
and Ext4 provides us good advantages meanwhile.

Rahul