Root Logins in X...

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 22 17:11:05 UTC 2009

Warren Togami wrote:
> Let us step back and consider the actual goal of preventing root logins.
>
> We want to stop people from logging in as root on their X desktop
> because it is almost always done out of laziness.  We want to discourage
> these lazy users from logging in as root and using desktop applications,
> which can be a dangerous thing.
>
> The only legitimate reason to allow root login is disaster recovery.
> The case where /home filesystem is full and logins fail, or /home is
> remote and inaccessible are cases where graphical non-root logins can fail.
>
> So why don't we make root logins from GDM a stripped down desktop with
> only a terminal and a menu with only configuration tools?  This desktop
> should be ugly and with a very obvious note explaining why they
> shouldn't be logged in as root.
>
> Benefits?
> - Educates the users.
> - Prevents future stupid flame wars.

+1. At one point I had my box set up that way (not sure if it still is,
or not); root login would get... twm + xterm. Why? Because I would use
it when things went wrong, and because generally I can fix it with a
console, or /limited/ use of X apps. And because running xterm in X is
still light-years better than a text-mode console. (Yes, even if KMS
worked on my system - which it doesn't - because I can take advantage of
all three screens I have hooked up with multiple xterms open at a time.)

Personally, I'd even suggest the same setup, twm + xterm. It certainly
qualifies as 'ugly' ;-).

Oh... Michal's right about one thing, though; xclock (in text mode,
please!) would be a nice addition if we set this up as default.

--
Matthew
Who let the hippos out?