F10 and no root login - impossible to maintain systems!

Andrew Parker gbofspam at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 19:01:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Never once have I felt a real need to tell people to get a root X login for
> any reason at all.

What if /home is hosed and they need the network (WIFI) to fix it?
How would you get NetworkManager configured from the command line?
How would I get that new kernel that resolves the problem?

What if /home is hosed, or / and /tmp are full, and system-config-lvm
is needed to help fix it?  Or any one of the other splendid GUIs we
now have that are an awful lot less error prone than doing something
from the command line.

Note that I'm not necessarily in favour of allowing root logins on X
*by default*, its just that I don't like the argument of "I have
never..." being falsely extrapolated to "Nobody will ever ..."