Lack of update information

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 26 18:13:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 09:28 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Julian Sikorski <belegdol at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Rahul Sundaram pisze:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> A while back, I tried to selectively update some packages and noticed
> >> that the update information provided by package maintainers (seen via
> >> PackageKit) is sorely lacking.
> >>
> >> * Update foo to upstream 2.16.2
> >[..]
> > Btw, how about pulling the data from spec %changelog automatically?
>
> Well in most cases the changelog will just contain the same "update to x.y.z"
> For some packages the changes just aren't  worth listing.
> For example each iw release only contain minor changes, people that
> really care about them know how to look it up.
> I could also just add "Small fixes and minor updates from upstream"
> but that's the same as "Update to x.y.z".

 It's the same _to you_, because you know that there are only some minor
number of fixes. But for almost anyone not you it could mean:

. fix for specific bug

. minor fixes

. minor fixes and minor feature or two

. minor fixes and one huge new feature

. lots of new features

...so putting the longer form in there helps everyone else.

> Copying the upstream changelog, that must people do not understand
> does not help either.

 There's a big difference between a "git log"¹, a complete overview
changelog² and something you put in a bodhi update³.

¹
http://yum.baseurl.org/gitweb?p=yum.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/yum-3_2_X

² http://james.fedorapeople.org/yum/yum%20overview%20changelog

³ https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F10/FEDORA-2008-11027