Lack of update information

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 26 20:19:53 UTC 2009

Chris Weyl wrote:

> It's hardly a "small additional cost", especially when looked at in
> aggregate; this would be an additional non-automateable step required
> for every update release that is of very questionable value/utility to
> the vast majority of our users.

I wouldn't say that. Currently it is of questionable value currently but
it would be much more valuable without just version bumping and more
careful thought put into justifying the need for updates. Every update
adds to a large cost in terms of build time, bandwidth, potential
regressions etc.

I realize it would make your life
> easier, but is it worth an additional imposition on our already
> highly-regulated maintainers just to make your life easier?

This is hardly about just me. I am not the only user on low bandwidth
connections at times. Many regions of the world are as you can see from
the number of people agreeing with the general idea.

> Basically, this seems to be "I don't really trust the package
> maintainer's decision on why I should upgrade, so I want to know what
> changes this introduces."

There are other considerations including but not limited to bandwidth
and yes, the criteria that users choose for consuming updates can be
quite different from the maintainer's reason for pushing the update and
without the maintainers informing me of why they decided to do a push,
users can't arbitrate their decisions either.

This step requires human intelligence and cannot be automated
completely. You will have to take into account not only things like
upstream changelogs (names,location etc differ widely and may not even
be provided) but also downstream patches, downstream bugs filed that are
being fixed by a particular update, CVE information for security updates
and much more information that a package maintainer would know about and
is very valuable to be passed on to end users.  Some portions which can
be automated, already are, such as bodhi closing updates optionally if
the bug numbers are specified.

Rahul