Lack of update information

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 26 23:29:14 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Chris Weyl wrote:
>> It's hardly a "small additional cost", especially when looked at in
>> aggregate; this would be an additional non-automateable step required
>> for every update release that is of very questionable value/utility to
>> the vast majority of our users.
>
> I wouldn't say that. Currently it is of questionable value currently but
> it would be much more valuable without just version bumping and more
> careful thought put into justifying the need for updates. Every update
> adds to a large cost in terms of build time, bandwidth, potential
> regressions etc.

There are distros for people that feel that way. I don't think any of
them are named "Fedora".

Then there are distros that believe in following upstream and shipping
their bug-fixes and feature enhancements. I'm using my favorite one of
those :-). Such distros, incidentally, are great for developers (/me
waves) who need to follow upstream (due to dependencies, or just desire
to watch upstream) but who need something more stable than rawhide.

Should we not release any updates without a Fedora bug being filed
asking to upgrade to the latest upstream?

--
Matthew
find / -user your -name base -print0 | xargs -0 chown us:cats -- Unknown