Default ISA/tuning flags for GCC, --enable-kernel= level for glibc

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 10:57:24 UTC 2009

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> [...]

The point is that IMHO the rawhide glibc must be able to work with any
kernel in a supported Fedora release.  Needed for upgrades and mock
builds.  Which means 2.6.27 at this point in time.

There is also RHEL-5 aka 2.6.18.  I doubt anyone does serious Fedora
development on a RHEL-5 machine (due to increasing gap in package
versions and features between el5+rawhide), so I'm not sure how much
pain it would bring to people if the rawhide glibc stops working on RHEL-5.

> The pain has to occur sometime.

No.  We just can't make the huge jump from .9 to .29.  We have to do it
smaller steps, considering kernel versions at least in supported Fedora
versions, maybe also latest RHEL.

> How about rolling up to 2.6.18 right now? That shouldn't hurt anything,
> should it?

2.6.18 should be fine.

> Make 2.6.29 a Fedora 12 priority. This shouldn't go against what you
> requested.

Should work when we care about Fedora only.  When also requiring latest
RHEL I'd suspect it will more likely be Fedora 13 because we'll have to
wait for RHEL-6 being out there to jump from .18 to .29.

cheers,
  Gerd