Draft: simple update description guidelines

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jan 27 19:36:54 UTC 2009

On 27.01.2009 20:12, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> Don't we have way to many guidelines and policies already?
> This is a very minor addition to an existing set of guidelines.

Well, those minor additions in different places sum up over time.

> I think, it is quite helpful to new maintainers [...]

Maybe that's why I suggested to put it in the wiki ;-)

>> Note that I don't disagree with the text that was proposed. My 2 cent:
>> Put it as text into the wiki somewhere, write "best practices" ontop of
>> it (avoid the words "rules" and "guidlines") and add a link to the bodhi
>> ui ("best practices for filing this box with information").
> This would just be a guideline under a different name. Isn't it? What's
> the advantage?

The word guidelines in fedora is used for things that are quite
important -- take the packaging guidelines as example, which often seem
to be more handled like rules and not like something that is allowed to
ignore/breach when it makes sense.

So you have to know, understand and remember all guidelines in Fedora if
you want to prevent than someone yells at you "but it's written".

The word "best practices" make it clearer that this  is the best way,
but not a must.

Cu
knurd