TeXlive 2008 in Fedora 11?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jan 29 07:08:52 UTC 2009

Le jeudi 29 janvier 2009 à 00:51 +0100, Kevin Kofler a écrit :
> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > I'd have to say the chances of this are extremely unlikely. I'm much
> > more inclined to propose that we drop texlive altogether.
>
> No TeX? That would make Fedora pretty much useless for Mathematics and
> anything related!
>
> If concrete licensing issues are found by somebody, of course those need to
> be addressed, but dropping all of TeX on the ground that it's too hard to
> audit is a horribly bad idea.

People who want TEX kept should create a task force and feed TEXlive
2008 in rawhide bit by bit, checking for each bit the licensing is ok.
That's about the only way the burden of checking TEX can be distributed
enough it won't depend on a couple packagers, when the amount of work is
too much to be humanly doable by a few people alone in a realistic
timeframe.

Our curent TEX packaging would be similar to try to package 80% of CPAN
in a single source package. Of course people crap out when they try to
check licensing correctly (and TEX stuff has more licensing variability
than Perl)

--
Nicolas Mailhot