TeXlive 2008 in Fedora 11?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Jan 30 11:01:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 07:52:36AM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Though eventually it will come to that if there is no resolution of TEX
> problems. We can't carry for years in multiple releases packages with
> known problems just because they were not identified before and now
> there is a lack of people working to solve them. TEX users need to worry
> about keeping our TEX packaging into shape IMHO, they should not rely on
> inertia forever.

You make it look like TeX packaging is bad. It's not the case. The TeX
packaging is consistent with FHS and with upstream organization. We
can do better at integrating, for the fonts for instance. But this
doesn't render the TeX packaging bad or not acceptable. I can't see
the 'known problems' of the current TeX packaging. If you refer
to TeX fonts not being available for other packages, sure this is a
shortcoming, but not a problem.

(License issues are another matter, but mostly independent of the
packaging issues, and upstream is quick at resolving those, quick
here meaning for the next release).

--
Pat