Reminder: Do not use trademarks in Summary or Description

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 30 14:09:51 UTC 2009

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> Please, if you're a packager, take a moment and go read this:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Trademarks_in_Summary_or_Description
>
> After talking with Red Hat Legal about how we should be handling
> trademarks in package summaries and descriptions, we came to the
> conclusion that it would be far easier (and less risky for Red Hat) if
> we did not use "(TM)" or "(R)" notations at all. This does not mean that
> you can use trademarks freely, you still need to be careful in how you
> use them. When in doubt, try not to use it. If you have questions, you
> can either email me or fedora-legal at redhat.com.

IMO, your advice collides with "fair use" of trademarks, in particular
when commonly used names actually refer to trademarked items or when
package even contain something trademarked.

Cf. e.g.
http://www.sgi.com/products/software/opengl/license.html
http://www.sgi.com/products/software/opengl/trademarks.html

Ralf