Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 30 21:19:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, drago01 wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM, Robert Scheck wrote:
> > How does the "where appropriate" exactly work? I didn't find technical
> > details for this...
>
> If the hw is capable of doing so (ie any "modern" cpu)

Means that anaconda and yum will examine /proc/cpuinfo for example and look
for CPU flags and decide on that? And how will other updaters/installers as
e.g. smart/apt handle that? Or will we get this checks directly into RPM?

> > But we will keep the .i386.rpm for regular RPM packages anyway or are we
> > "upgrading" all ENVRA namings to .i586.rpm or .i686.rpm?
>
> Mass rebuild to go i686.rpm

Okay, so we will have then only *.i686.rpm for 32 bit Intel everywhere?

Greetings,
  Robert