Too many unowned directories

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Jan 30 22:07:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:51:59 +0200 (EET), Panu wrote:
>
>> Rpm sets a default umask 0022 on initialization since 4.4.2.3.
>
> That seems to be Fedora >= 9. Good to hear that.

Yup, since Fedora >= 9.

> And I can confirm it with F10!
> That's one annoyance less. :)
>
> Unremoved versioned directories after package removal is a minor issue.
> The inability to RPM-verify unowned directories becomes minor if dirs
> default to 0755.
>
>> Where are you seeing inaccessible unowned directories being created?
>
> As I recall it, I could still reproduce it end of Nov 2008 in Rawhide, but
> there's a small chance I was in a shell on F8 by mistake.

By Nov 2008 rpm certainly set a default umask, but it only sets it once at
initialization time, so any API user (python or otherwise) has a chance to
still change it to something else. I'm not aware of anything doing that
but possible, yes - or you were on F8 shell :) And sure the umask setting
could be pushed deep into the file processing mechanism to avoid API users
messing with it if absolutely necessary.

 	- Panu -