Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 00:31:02 UTC 2009

Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Friday 30 January 2009, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Kevin Fenzi (kevin at scrye.com) said, in the FESCo meeting summary:
>>> * Architecture Support
>>>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ArchitectureSupport
>
>> * 32-bit x86 would be built for i686 by default. 586-compatible processors
>> would no longer be supported.
> [...]
>> * i386: -march=i586 -mtune=generic
>
> Should the latter be -march=i686?

I was wondering this too but in the opposite direction -- why build
everything for i686 by default if we're only updating the compiler flags
to i586?

Jakub's email sparking this Feature listed the major benefit from
getting new instructions with -march=i486.  He then listed additional
helpful instructions when using -march=i586.  Nothing listed for
-march=i686.

-Toshio