Getting started with Rawhide

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 04:27:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> There are a few other things that have higher versions in F10. That caused
> me a bit of grief. The dejavu fonts change also caused some problems.
> Something that couldn't be updated pinned some other package that was
> needed for another package and skip broken couldn't figure out how to
> fix things. (It would be nice if it could at least tell it couldn't
> succeed rather than going on in an endless loop.) There are also a few
> kde-i18 and kde-i10 packages that have conflicting files.
>
> For some things I uninstalled them in F10 to get the upgrade to succeed and
> then the other stuff I cleaned up later using rpm to do a downgrade.
> I used package-cleanup to find things that needed looking at.

Ah, yes, I forgot about package-cleanup.  So, skipping the F-10
kernel, here is what "package-cleanup --orphans" reports on my virtual
Rawhide machine:

glibc-2.9-2.x86_64
glibc-common-2.9-2.x86_64
glibc-devel-2.9-2.x86_64
glibc-headers-2.9-2.x86_64
libdhcp-1.99.8-1.fc10.x86_64
libdhcp4client-4.0.0-30.fc10.x86_64
libdhcp6client-1.0.22-1.fc10.x86_64
nscd-2.9-2.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-mga-1.4.9-1.fc9.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-mouse-1.3.0-2.fc9.x86_64

I admit that having glibc on that list really surprises me.  It's such
a fundamental piece of the system...

Thanks,
--
Jerry James