Summary of the 2009-01-06 Packaging Committee meeting

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Jan 7 21:25:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 11:30 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> If it's on your people.redhat.com account, could you post a link?  The
> index.html you have up doesn't have a link to this package.

It's found by going to the second link in my sig, the one about
Infiniband specific rpms.  Under there, the rhel5.3 rpms are present,
and you can find the openmpi src rpm at this location:

http://people.redhat.com/dledford/Infiniband/rhel5.3/src/

Ignore the bits in the spec file that deal with cleaning up all the
previous, busted usage of alternatives.  Or not if you want to see just
how much of a mess it made :-/

> So, with the exception of the arch-specific files in %{_datadir} which
> has changed for the new release, this seems to be FHS-kosher to me.  If
> you can get me a link to the new package I can take a look and see if
> the situation there is worse.

Well, not really (unless the FHS changed since I last read it).  The
solution was to create an %{mpidir} macro that was
%{name}/%{version}-%{opt_cc} and use %{_libdir}/%{mpidir} as a prefix
for the entire install.  So, libraries, binaries, man pages, etc config
files, they all reside under %{_lidbir}/%{mpidir}.  That's an acceptable
layout for things in /opt according to the FHS, but not for distribution
provided files in %{_libdir}, and distribution provided files are
prohibited from being placed in /opt.  Hence the conundrum.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at